A Dozen ways to get information to the parish and greater community with deadlines and contact information. Items 1 – 6 are managed by the Communications Director (all submissions are subject to editing for space), Items 7 – 12, in blue, are done directly by event coordinators or their committee members.
Sunday bulletin. Submit to *protected email* by Noon on Tuesday for the upcoming Sunday bulletin. 50 to 75 words with contact information.
Weekly E-News. Submit to *protected email* by Noon on Tuesday to be included in that day’s email. 50 words with contact information. A one-time special edition E-news can be sent out for major events. Interim Rector and Search Committee E-news published periodically on Wednesdays.
Liturgy Participants E-news. Submit substitutions by Noon on Wednesday to be included in that day’s email.
Website. Submit at any time to *protected email*. 200 -250 words and photos with links and contact information. Pages will be updated within 2-3 days of submission.
Facebook. Posts every weekday. May be scheduled in advance. 150 words maximum, include photo.
Print news. Deadline is the 15th of the month for the following month. 250-300 words maximum with contact information and 1 – 2 photos.
Bulletin boards. Contact the Parish Office to determine which board to use.
Diocesan E-News. By subscription: http://archive.episcopalmaryland.org/pm/ Submit event notices directly following the guidelines on the Diocesan E-news page. Copy *protected email*.
Next Door Neighbor. Social media platform for the Manor neighborhood. Members post event announcements with photo. Request an invitation to join the network from the Communications Director (*protected email*).
10. Pinterest. http://www.pinterest.com/church0835. If you would like to be a contributor to the Parishboards please contact *protected email*
11. Signs, banners, posters, post cards. Recommended posting 2 weeks prior to event. Use logos, photos, fonts consistently across all forums. Copy *protected email*
12. WBJC Public Service announcements for fine arts events. Two weeks in advance of event. http://www.wbjc.com/public-service-announcements/ Copy St. James’ Communications Director.
• Edit your work ruthlessly
• Use keywords – readers skim, often spending less than a minute on a page.
• Use the active voice.
• Write the most important information in the first paragraph.
• Obtain copyright permissions for reprints and photos.
• Pictures in jpeg format are encouraged.
• If you have any questions, please contact the Communications Director at 410-771-4466 or *protected email*.
We are grateful to St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, Encinitas, Calfiornia for allowing us to use and modify their guidelines.